Thursday, August 8, 2024

Dave Sweetapple obit

Dave Sweetapple (Witch, Sweet Apple, Eerie), RIP

 He was not on the list.


Dave Sweetapple, bassist of Witch, Eerie, and Sweet Apple, has reportedly passed away at 58 years old. Tee Pee Records owner Kenny Sehgal says that he died in his sleep, and that he got the news while at SonicBlast Festival in Portugal, who projected a photo of Sweetapple on the main stage in tribute.

Other tributes to Sweetapple have been pouring in, including from Damian Abraham of Fucked Up, who writes, “RIP DAVE SWEETAPPLE. The first time I met Dave was at the 2008 SXSW. I approached him and @jmascis at a show Fucked Up was playing and he immediately asked me is I knew about Sudden Impact and within minutes we were exchanging our favorite Schzoid songs and bonded for life. Dave’s impact on music was immense and too big to sum up with a single band, really. While he certainly played in some amazing bands, he also took photos for countless zines and records (Dag Nasty’s 85-86, to name one). He also co-ran the awesomely underrated Mag Wheel Records, in its early years; as well as doing behind the scenes work at Tee Pee Records. I can’t tell you how much it hurts to know I’ll never get to talk Maritimes punk and HC with him again. Sending love to the whole Dinosaur Jr. extended family. I love you all so much. I’m crying looking at your picture Dave and I know you would be cracking on me for it. Give O a big hug for all of us and AF’s version of Crucified still smokes the original. I love you.”

John Brannon of Negative Approach writes, “Check it out, R.I.P. Dave Sweetapple I just saw Dave 5 days ago when he took this pic of us after the N.A. TV Eye gig and he was totally fine. I’m in complete shock.”

Roadburn Fest writes, “Dave Sweetapple left an indelible mark on the lives of many, many people and will be sorely missed. Not only was he a talented musician himself but he also nurtured creativity in others, as a mentor, facilitator, and guide.”

Desertfest NYC writes, “Dave Sweetapple was an integral part in us launching Desertfest NYC back in 2019. We are shocked & devastated to hear of his sudden passing. Talented, captivating & caring beyond measure, Dave had a wicked sense of humour & touched the lives of so many ❤️💫 Our love & thoughts are with Robin, all his many friends & family plus the Witch & Tee Pee Records crew. – Sarika, Reece, Matte, Jake & the whole DF NYC team”

UPDATE: Dave’s Witch and Sweet Apple bandmate J. Mascis cancelled his Dinosaur Jr. set at Outlandia Festival due to a “death in the family.”

RIP, Dave. See more tributes below.


No comments:

Post a Comment