Sunday, December 15, 2019

Nicky Henson obit

TV STAR DEAD

Nicky Henson dead aged 74 – Downton Abbey and EastEnders star dies after cancer battle

 

He was not on the list.


FORMER EastEnders and Downton Abbey actor Nicky Henson has died at the age of 74  after a 19 year battle with cancer.

The actor also appeared in Fawlty Towers and a host of theatre roles at the Royal Shakespeare Company and National Theatre.

Confirming news of Henson's death on Monday, friend Ian Oglivy posted to Facebook: "After an illness which started twenty years ago, and which was born with great fortitude and good humour, my oldest and dearest friend, my mate Nicky Henson, has gone."

A statement from his family added: "Nicky Henson has died after a long disagreement with cancer."

He was best known for playing Mr Johnson in the episode of Fawlty Towers called The Psychiatrist, in which John Cleese's Basil Fawlty becomes obsessed with catching his character breaking hotel policy by having a woman in his room.

He joked that despite his 50 years of acting, his tombstone would probably read: "Here lies Nicky Henson - he was in one episode of Fawlty Towers".

Henson carried on working long after his diagnosis and played Honey Edwards' father Jack in EastEnders in 2006 and Charles Grigg in Downton Abbey. He also made numerous appearances in The Bill.

He also appeared in more than 30 films, including Witchfinder General, Psychomania, Vera Drake and Syriana.

He recorded his first single in 1961 and had a three-year contract writing songs for The Shadows and Cliff Richard.

Henson's most recent acting credit was as Latham in the crime drama Tango One in 2018.

Discussing his cancer battle last year, Henson said: "For the last 18 years, I've regarded myself as 'being in extra time', which I never expected to have, so I'm very thankful for it.

"I got my first cancer on Christmas day 18 years ago and didn't think I was going to survive, after I was told I had a large tumor and would have to be operated on.

"To get rid of the first tumor, I had to have half my colon and a third of my stomach removed. I was fine, but a routine scan a few years later revealed I had another tumour.

"During that time, I got my dream part as Sir Toby Belch in Twelfth Night at the RSC, but the physical strain of the part and the side effects of the drug meant I had to give it up. I knew then I’d never act on stage again, which broke my heart.

"A further operation found I had two tumors, and not one.

"Ten years ago, they found I also had prostate cancer. I’ve had radiation for it but I developed really bad kidney stones, which are agony and have been the worst part of the whole thing. I had around 21 medical procedures over 12 months."

The actor, who went swimming every day, said it was a "job staying on top of it all", adding how a "sense of humour helps".

He said: "It’s incredible what treatment they can offer now. For my generation the ‘c’ word used to mean that was the end. But my three sons looked it up on the internet and told me, 'Listen dad, it's not like the old days, you’ll be OK.'"

He said work had been his "saviour" and that his "wonderful" family had got him through the tough times.


Partial filmography

Father Came Too! (1964) - Motorcyclist

Every Day's a Holiday (1965) - Tailor's Shop Customer (uncredited)

Doctor in Clover (1966) - Boutique assistant

The Jokers (1967) - Man at Party

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (1968) - Craig Foster

30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia (1968) - Paul

Witchfinder General (1968) - Swallow

Crooks and Coronets (1969) - Lord Freddie Fitzmore

Mosquito Squadron (1969) - Flt. Sgt. Wiley Bunce

There's a Girl in My Soup (1970) - Jimmy

All Coppers Are... (1972) - Barry

Psychomania (1973) - Tom Latham

The Love Ban (1973) - Baker

Penny Gold (1973) - Roger

Vampira (1974) - Marc

Bedtime with Rosie (1974) - Fantasy Man

The Bawdy Adventures of Tom Jones (1976) - Tom Jones

No. 1 of the Secret Service (1977) - No. 1 / Charles Bind

The Secret of Seagull Island (1985) - Martin Foster

Parting Shots (1998) - Askew

Me Without You (2001) - Ray

Death, Deceit & Destiny Aboard the Orient Express (2001) - Tom Finlay

Flyfishing (2002) - Howard

Vera Drake (2004) - Private Doctor

Syriana (2005) - Sydney Hewitt

A Quiet Drink (2006, Short) - Peter

Blitz (2011) - Superintendent Brown

Run for Your Wife (2012) - Man in Hospital

Truth or Dare (2012) - Mr. Hautbois (uncredited)

We Still Kill the Old Way (2014) - Jack Houghton

Draw on Sweet Night (2015) - Sir Thomas Kytson

Narcopolis (2015) - Chief Ballard

Gozo (2016) - Tony

We Still Steal the Old Way (2016) - Jack Houghton

The Holly Kane Experiment (2017) - Marvin Greenslade

Tango One (2018) - Latham (final film role) 

No comments:

Post a Comment