Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Ron Johnson obit

Former Steelers DB Ron Johnson dies at 62

Member of Steelers' Super Bowl XIII, XIV teams passes away

 

He was not on the list.


Former Pittsburgh Steelers defensive back Ron Johnson, who played his entire seven year NFL career with the Steelers and won Super Bowls XIII and XIV with the team, died Tuesday at the age of 62, according to a report by Dave Bryan of Steelers Depot. News of Johnson's passing had originally been shared by friends of his via Facebook.

Johnson was the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 1978, selected with the No. 22-overall pick in the Draft out of Eastern Michigan. In his rookie year, Johnson recorded a total of four interceptions, and tacked on one more in the Steelers' AFC Championship Game triumph over the Houston Oilers. He would then have three tackles in the Steelers' Super Bowl XIII victory over the Dallas Cowboys, and became the first-ever rookie cornerback to serve as a starter on a Super Bowl-winning team. The next year, Johnson would record his second Super Bowl win in as many years when the Steelers beat the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl XIV.

Even with his billing as a cornerback, Johnson proved to be versatile in the Steelers' defensive backfield. Following an injury to starting strong safety Donnie Shell in 1981, Johnson filled his role, and later played free safety as well. Johnson played for the Steelers until 1984.

Last year, Johnson was featured in the Steelers' Legend Series, sitting down with the team to discuss his career.

"I came here for one reason, and I want to play in the Super Bowl," said Johnson. "I want to win a world championship, because I know that's something that I'll keep with me for the remainder of my life."

Speaking about being able to play alongside the greatest Steelers of all-time, Johnson said that it was "the most fascinating thing that I could ever dream of doing. It's kind of hard to put into words, and when I think about all the guys that I played with, then I said 'You know what? I genuinely love these people' - and I made a joke, but I said 'even Jack Lambert'."

In speaking with the Steelers' website last year, Johnson stressed how fortunate he felt to be a part of a team that was so dominant.

"It’s one of the most fascinating things you can think of, to walk out of that tunnel at the Super Bowl, Joe Greene and Jack Lambert brought us out on the field," said Johnson in an article by Teresa Varley of the Steelers. "For me it’s still a thrill. Some days I have to pinch myself that these things happened. I am part of an organization that has six Super Bowls. I am proud of one of the most dominant organizations in sports. And I am proud of it. It’s a sense of accomplishment to win a championship."

Johnson is preceded in death among the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers by punt returner Theo Bell, tight ends Bennie Cunningham and Jim Mandich, center Mike Webster, defensive tackle Steve Furness, defensive ends L.C. Greenwood, Dwight White, and Willie Fry, and fellow defensive back Ray Oldham.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

No comments:

Post a Comment