Saturday, March 15, 2014

Scott Asheton obit

Stooges drummer Scott Asheton dies aged 64

This article is more than 9 years old

Iggy Pop and James Williamson pay respect to the drummer, who co-founded the pioneering proto-punk band the Stooges 

He was not on the list.


Scott Asheton, founding member and drummer for proto-punk band Iggy and the Stooges, has died aged 64.

The drummer, hailing from Ann Arbor in Michigan, temporarily left the band in 2011 following an unspecified injury, but played with the band on their 2013 LP Ready to Die. The cause of his death has not yet been confirmed.

Frontman Iggy Pop last night paid tribute to his Stooges bandmate, who joined the pioneering act in 1967. Posting on Facebook, the 66-year-old wrote:

My dear friend Scott Asheton passed away last night.

Scott was a great artist, I have never heard anyone play the drums with more meaning than Scott Asheton. He was like my brother. He and Ron have left a huge legacy to the world. The Asheton’s have always been and continue to be a second family to me.

My thoughts are with his sister Kathy, his wife Liz and his daughter Leanna, who was the light of his life.

Asheton played alongside his guitarist brother Ron Asheton in the band, who died in 2009. The punk act released three definitive albums in their career - 1969’s The Stooges, 1970’s Fun House and 1973’s Raw Power. The Stooges split in 1974, but eventually reformed in 2003.

Tributes for the drummer have been pouring in since news of his death, including bandmate James Williamson who wrote of his last communication with Asheton: “My only comfort is that he reached out to me in an email about a week or two ago saying that he was thinking of me and the good times we had together and that he would like to make some music with me,” Williamson posted on Facebook. “I responded but he never got back to me again. I guess that was his way of saying goodbye for now….”

Artists such as Henry Rollins and The Brian Jonestown Massacre’s Anton Newcombe have also paid their respects:

No comments:

Post a Comment