Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2026

Caroline Langford obit

Israeli actress Caroline Langford, star of Yehuda Barkan films, dies at 68

Caroline Langford, star of Yehuda Barkan's 1980s prank films, died of cancer; she appeared in Israeli films and TV series and met Assi Dayan, her future husband and later ex-husband, on the set of 'King for a Day'

 

She was not on the list.


Actress Caroline Langford, who became known in Israel for her roles in prank films and was the ex-wife of Assi Dayan and mother of Lior Dayan, has died at age 68. She died Friday of cancer.

Caroline Langford was born in London in 1958 to Shirley and Barry Langford, who worked as a television director in Britain and later in Israel. The family immigrated to Israel when Caroline was 14.

She began her career as a singer but later became known as an actress in the 1980s, appearing in films including "Girls," "King for a Day" and "Am Yisrael Hai." She was particularly associated with the prank films of Yehuda Barkan and Yigal Shilon, including "Hayeh Ahaltah Otah" and "Nipagesh Bachof."

Langford was married to actor and director Assi Dayan, whom she met while appearing in his film "King for a Day." She won the Kinor David award for her performance in the film.

The couple had a son, Lior Dayan. After their divorce, Lior was placed with a foster family at Kibbutz Dvir in the Negev, while Langford left Israel, first for London and later for New York. She married again and had a second child, a daughter, Daniela, before that marriage also ended in divorce. She later met Gil Bankstein, a former Israeli, and married him. The couple lived together in Los Angeles.

Langford previously spoke to ynet about her relationship with Dayan, who died in 2014. "We had a very good relationship in recent years. I met him every time I came to Israel. The last time I saw Assi, we talked about how we had become grandparents. He was very happy about it," she said.

Over the past decade, Langford appeared in several Israeli television series, including "Sisters." In 2013, she also appeared alongside her son Lior on the reality series "Connected." In 2020, she appeared in "Normal," a series created by her son and inspired by his own life, playing his mother.

"Of course, Lior is my biggest scar," she told ynet in an interview. "For years, I was haunted by guilt over how I could leave him when he was 2 and why he had to grow up with a foster family on a kibbutz.

"Today I understand that I suffered from postpartum depression, but back then it wasn't recognized, and Assi certainly didn't make things any easier for me during that period. I was convinced I was a terrible person. I left Israel after four years, after I got divorced, and no one thought to ask why Assi wasn't raising Lior. The woman is always the one who gets blamed."

Langford eventually managed to rebuild her relationship with her son and later helped him through drug rehabilitation.

"Lior and I had a healing experience," she said. "I was here with him for two and a half years during his rehabilitation. Today we're in a different place. We have a wonderful relationship."

 

Actress

 

    Bamboozled (2021)

    Bamboozled

    Short

        Dr. Daniels

        2021

    Roy Nik in Normal (2020)

    Normal

    8.3

    TV Mini Series

        Noam's mother

        2020

    Cat Valium

    Video

        Abby (voice)

        2019

    Nelly Tagar, Tess Hashiloni, and Danna Semo in Sisters (2016)

    Sisters

    8.3

    TV Series

        Judy

        2016–2019

    Being Dexter (2015)

    Being Dexter

    Short

        Bike Gang

        2015

    The Call (2012)

    The Call

    7.2

    Short

        Nurse

        2012

    A Separate Life (2011)

    A Separate Life

    8.7

    Short

        Veronica

        2011

    Echoes of Summer Sin

        2009

    Lauren Holly, William Devane, Louis Gossett Jr., and Cedric Sanders in The Least Among You (2009)

    The Least Among You

    4.6

        Cynthia Beckett

        2009

    Expiry Date (2005)

    Expiry Date

    6.7

        Teacher

        2005

    BeKetzev HaKetzev (2002)

    BeKetzev HaKetzev

    TV Series

        Susan

        2002

    Zbeng (1998)

    Zbeng

    6.8

    TV Series

        1998–1999

    Nipagesh Bachof (1987)

    Nipagesh Bachof

    5.4

        1987

    The Big Gag (1987)

    The Big Gag

    4.0

        1987

    Billy Barty, Diana Rigg, Malcolm Dixon, Mike Edmonds, Gary Friedkin, Arturo Gil, Ricardo Gil, Sarah Patterson, and Tony Cooper in Snow White (1987)

    Snow White

    6.5

        4th Lady in Waiting (uncredited)

        1987

    The Delta Force (1986)

    The Delta Force

    5.7

        Sally Fraser

        1986

    Hanna Azoulay Hasfari in Girls (1985)

    Girls

    6.2

        Karen

        1985

    Die Errettung Fatmes

    TV Movie

        Fanny

        1984

    Am Yisrael Hai (1981)

    Am Yisrael Hai

    3.6

        1981

    A Crazy Dad (1981)

    A Crazy Dad

    7.7

        1981

    Hayeh Ahaltah Otah (1980)

    Hayeh Ahaltah Otah

    4.5

        1980

    Melech LeYom Ehad (1980)

    Melech LeYom Ehad

    6.3

        Shelly Levy

        1980

 

Writer

 

    Nipagesh Bachof (1987)

    Nipagesh Bachof

    5.4

        Writer

        1987

 

Self

 

    Dayan the First Family (2019)

    Dayan the First Family

    TV Mini Series

        Self

        2019

    No Shame: How Candid Camera Took Over Israeli Cinema (2014)

    No Shame: How Candid Camera Took Over Israeli Cinema

    TV Movie

        Self

        2014

    Alilot David

    TV Series

        Self - Actress in 'Kesef Bogdani'

        1998

 

No comments:

Post a Comment